Background

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On the Eve of 2 Years Old

On the eve of Ava turning 2, I just spent some time pondering how quickly 2 had snuck up on us. Some phases felt like they would never end and other phases slipped quietly by. It all adds up to how quickly life passes us by. I know that as a teacher, I am always counting down the days until our next break and in reality, I feel like sometimes I am wishing away Ava's babyhood and toddler hood. My friend Licia posted a comment on here last week about a song her dad used to play with her. I looked it up and these are the lyrics: Never One Again by Alabama







Play with the presents from the boys and the girls.
Your big day is over. The cake is all gone.
We sang you to sleep with the birthday song.
No. you'll never be one again.
The two's are tumbling on in.
Daddy's little girl is growing up in the world.
You'll never be one again.



The toy piano is quiet in the hall as Kermie the frog sits watching it all.
And soon your legs will and make the tricycle go and take you away from us all.
No. you'll never be one again.
The two's are tumbling on in.
Daddy's little girl is growing up in the world.
You'll never be one again.
Goodnight, Baby.
Goodnight, Daddy.



Thanks Licia for posting about this. It is a beautiful song and really spoke to what I was feeling. Imagine the irony that Ava got a tricycle from Nana and Pop the day before she turned two. Those twos did tumble in on us...









2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 PM

    Definitely cherish these days, as I'm sure your parents can agree, they go by so fast! I look at Jacob who is a Senior this year and I am amazed at where all that time has gone. Just yesterday he had HIS 2nd birthday!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 AM

    WOW! It's such an honor to be named in your blog! :-D I really enjoy it and read it a couple times a week. Glad you enjoyed the song. The irony of the tricyle is pretty cool. The last picture of Ava on here looks SO much like you. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

We love, love, love your comments!